I never know what to say when someone asks me to tell them about myself. Technically, no one asked me; but y’all gone learn today!
This feels strange.
I never know what to say when someone asks me to tell them about myself. Technically, no one asked me; but y’all gone learn today! Normally, when someone asks me to talk about myself, I stick to things that are safe; things that don’t require much vulnerability. I won’t promise I’ll spill my entire heart today; but I’ll share some things about me (10 things to be exact).
I’ve got to at least introduce myself at some point.
Hi! My name is Darveiye Michel Flemming (We can talk about the pronunciation another time). I’m the creator of this blog, Sensible Fool. How ever you’ve found your way here, thank you. I appreciate every like, comment, share, question, and critique. It means a lot. So, thank you for your support!
1. I grew up with 2 older brothers and 4 younger sisters; all of which names start with ‘D.’ (Durell, Diante, Darveiye, DeShara, Danielle, Drew, and Destiny) Shout out to y’all! Y’all are the best.
2. I was born in Chicago. However, honestly, I don’t really claim Chi-town like that. I’m an Okie.
3. I began my relationship with Christ when I was 5. It’s a beautiful story. I’ll have to tell it on here one day.
4. I went through a few lengthy periods of atheism in which I genuinely believed God wasn’t real.
5. My favorite colors are blue and green. I believe they’re the most natural beautiful colors.
6. I play keys and guitar. Music has always been a passion of mine; worship moreso.
7. I speak English and Spanish; and a little bit of a lot of different languages. Entonces, si hable español, háblame para que yo podría practicar. ¡Besos!
8. I love film. I often have very spirited discussions about it. So, be prepared.
9. My favorite animals are tigers and great white sharks. I plan to swim with sharks at some point in my life. Sharks are also another subject you can prepare to get into an argument with me. Don’t ask. Or do. The choice is yours.
10. I teach precious immigrant and refugee children English as a second language. It’s incredibly rewarding and challenging. They keep me laughing and constantly asking myself, “what the heck is going on?”
11. BONUS. I’ve danced hip-hop for the majority of my life. Don’t ask me to show you a move though. I tend to get a little shy for some strange reason.
Anyway, those are just a few fun facts about me. I hope you enjoyed reading this! Please comment some fun facts about yourself. I’d love to hear who’s reading these posts.
It all started on a calm brooding Tuesday in December. It was getting dark. I was at the bus station. Waiting. Patiently. I scrolled through my various feeds of my social media.
I receive a notification from Twitter. Two, to be exact. An angel sent by GOD (s/o to David @khaorisen) followed me on Twitter and @-ed (not sure if that’s how you’re supposed to write it, don’t judge me) me. By the way, I don’t know David personally. He had no reason to know John Boyega is my celebrity crush. [If for some reason you don’t know who he is, he’s a brilliant actor and stars in the recent installments of the iconic Star Wars series].
His tweet read:
I was confused because I didn’t recall tweeting anything to John Boyega. However, when I saw the title of the video link he sent, my heart dropped. Even though I didn’t remember having done anything of the sort, I knew there HAD to be some truth to it.
I began pacing as I waited for the video to load. I didn’t care AT ALL how ridiculous I must’ve looked. As the video began playing, I began repeating absurd comments to myself like, “oh my gosh,” “oh shoot,” oh dang,” “oh my God,” “oh shoot God-dang,” “this is happening” (heck, I didn’t even know what was happening)!
I walked outside as the video was playing and only got louder. I continued pacing. Half jumping. Half jogging. Burning calories. You know how it is.
Then IT happened. Yes. It. Happened. At 1:24 into the video, I saw it. My name and picture from my INSTAGRAM PROFILE POPPED UP ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN!
John’s beautiful co-star, Kelly Marie Tran(hey girl, hey!), began reading. My post read:
“I CANNOT keep scrolling every day and seeing some picture of FINNEEE picture of JOhn Boyega. It’s literally not good for my heart. I just rolled my eyes so hard. Like God, why? Why would You make such a beautiful creation as this? I’m being dramatic. Lol. But, seriously. You’re good at what you do. May God continue to bless you in ALL that you do as you remain faithful to Him. To GOD Be the Glory!”
My heart and my soul.
It’s funny really. I wrote that comment on August 8, 2017. As I was writing it, I remember thinking, “It doesn’t even matter. He’s never going to see this. Hundreds of girls post on his pictures every day. He’s not going to see your ONE comment. Just let it out!”
I let it out alright! I added something a bit more serious at the end in the event that he did see it. I do seriously appreciate him as an actor and desire for him to do well. Therefore, I find it important to pray for celebrities you like or are drawn to. It’s not easy being in the public eye like that.
Anyway, I do remember sensing that somehow he was going to see it. I brushed off the feeling though.
‘Cause I mean, “How? How fam? How was he gonna see my one comment in a million comments?” The odds were very slim. I just HAD to be extra that day to where someone at Teen Vogue thought, “Yea, this one is great. Let’s do this one.” S/o to Teen Vogue for that by the way! Y’all real.
The story isn’t done though.
As Mr. Boyega (that’s what I like to call him) listened to my silly, rachet comment, he had a PLETHORA of facial expressions. I don’t even know how to feel about it. Neither did he, so it seems! Take a look below.
What is dis oh?
Oh my Gosh!
I’m a Naija boy, but I do blush from time to time.
She said that?
Yea… He looked like he had gone through the five stages of grief. The last one looks like acceptance. Just sayin’. Speaking of acceptance…
Here’s his proposal that I accepted.
His words, not mine. “I need to marry whoever that is! I am SOLD.” Me too Boyega, me too.
While this is a funny and COMPLETELY true-ish story, I did get something out of it. I was in an interesting place emotionally when David from Twitter reached out to tell me about this video. (Also, many others reached out on Instragram, Facebook, AND Twitter. Thank you guys too!)
It reminded me that oftentimes what seems impossible IS possible. What seems least likely, CAN happen. God takes care of details. God cares about the small stuff and the big stuff. He sees YOU. He never sleeps. He never leaves. He never forsakes. When we forget about the promise or give up on it, God doesn’t.Disclaimer: I’m not saying God is trying to put us together. I’m just a clown. I’m saying the chances of this happening were very slim to none. & I’m grateful it did happen! It made me smile on a not so great day.
Granted, there is nothing inherently spiritual about this situation, but it reminded me of how small I am and how big God is.
Oh and here’s the kicker. I wore my Chewbacca shirt to work that day!
I hope you enjoyed this story! If for some reason you need more evidence or just want to watch the video; in the words of Bruno Mars, “don’t believe me, just watch.”